There are so many variations of beard types, it is hard to keep track of them all. I think the reason there are so many types of facial hair is that everyone wants to express themselves in a unique way…to distinguish themselves from others.And for those of us who are leaders with public personas that to attend, we are perhaps even more conscious of our facial appearance. I admit that this is a strong reason for my facial hair type.Plus social scientists have noted a shocking number of stats that appearance can have real positive or negative consequences, depending on whether others perceive you as trustworthy or good looking.Check out these research stats on how we can benefit or suffer from our appearance:
- Economist Daniel Hamermesh has found that more attractive people can earn incomes 10 to 12% more than the average person.
- A woman judged more beautiful than most may find it harder to get a top job.
- The more dominant and powerful you appear to others, the more likely you are to be hired as a senior executive and the higher your pay.
- Those who look more trustworthy are more likely to be obtain a loan.
- Among those with an innocent looking face are less likely to be found guilty.
- Even 3 and 4 year-olds make snap decisions on who looks “mean” or “nice” based solely on appearances.
Enjoy this list of 28 beard types and please leave your comments in the section at the bottom of this post with additional facial hair types you think I should add to the list.
1. French Fork (or Ducktail)
2. Old Dutch
3. Mutton Chops
This one is becoming more popular in baseball. The look is named for Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian national hero.
8. Van Dyke
Christian Bale and Jeremy Renner seem to wear this facial hair type well.
10. General Lee
11. Salvador Dali
12. Fu Manchu
Hulk Hogan and Joe Flacco are two rare birds that wear the Fu Manchu. Get the pun? Flacco plays quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens, and Hogan is quite the eccentric ex-wrestler.
13. Groucho Marx
Named for Captain Jack Sparrow of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise, Johnny Depp (as Sparrow) and Brad Pitt have donned this facial hair.
20. Soul Patch
Marked by sharp, razor thin lines, this beard type is minimalistic to the extreme.
22. Full Beard Style
Duck Dynasty, ZZ Top, and Gandalf (Lord of the Rings) are all bad dudes. If you want to wear a full beard, you’ve got to have some bad in you.
24. Copstash Standard
28. Chin Curtain
So, is there any hope of being perceived fairly with or without facial hair or a beard? No, we cannot change our looks, short of a face transplant (video below). But, I believe there is a way we can influence perceptions. Review these 2 posts for more:
- 23 Power Positions of Top Leaders (To Be Published Soon)
- 61 Business Buzzwords & Jargon to Banish